Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Dimensions of Health

This semester at uni (my last semester before I graduate!), I am studying a subject named "Personal Development and HPE" (HPE = Health and Physical Education).

Today was the first tutorial, and one of the things we talked about was the "Health Alphabet", more commonly known as: The 5 Dimensions of Health.

I wanted to note them down here, because it fits in so well with what I'm starting to focus on in my own life - being healthy inside and out.

So, the 5 dimensions of health are:

Social - family, friends; our support network

Spiritual - morals, beliefs, values, belonging

Mental - intelligence and thinking

Emotional - feelings, self esteem, etc

Physical - strength, fitness, energy, nutrition, hydration, sleep, etc (I would probably also put down flexibility).


Personally, I think I'm quite healthy in the first four areas, but the physical aspect really needs improvement. In fact, it doesn't just need improvement, it needs a total overhaul! My sleeping patterns are bizarre, I feel tired a lot, I know I don't drink enough and I can count the number of times I've done a substantial amount of exercise in the last month on one hand. But things are going to change!

Also, my tutor has had two kids in the last 2 or 3 years, and I can't even tell! She's rather inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Encouragement, questions and general remarks are all very welcome, and I read every comment.